A large number of users encounter performance issues in Outlook and at times, it becomes unresponsive. The users are unable to use Outlook smoothly and often, Outlook emails are not opening on pc. In this blog, we will discuss the various issues and how a user can improve Outlook performance, however, you need to evaluate the risks that are involved while you implement the methods to resolve the performance issue. We will share some useful methods that will help you to fix the issues in Microsoft Outlook so continue reading the blog to discover ways to troubleshoot issues.
Common Reasons Why Microsoft Outlook is Not Responding
If your outlook emails are not opening on pc, then the following reasons could be responsible for the performance issues in Outlook:
- Incorrect operating system specifications
- The updated version of Outlook is not installed
- Oversized PST and OST files
- Antivirus software installed
- Hard disk problem
- Run-down Outlook profile
- Unexpected closing of OST and PST files
Learn How to Improve Outlook Performance Issues
The user will face various issues while accessing Outlook, however, in this section, we will be discussing some helpful methods to improve Outlook performance. Let us find out the common reasons for the issues and how you can troubleshoot the issues:
- Oversized MS Outlook Data Files\
One of the most common reasons why users get a pop-up message displayed on their screen for ‘Outlook emails are not opening on pc’ is due to oversized or large OST and PST files. If a user has oversized .OST and .PST files, then there are huge chances that Outlook will pause while a user accesses it.
Solution for Large Outlook Files:
As most of you are already aware of the fact that the maximum file size of PST file is 50 GB for Outlook 2010 and above versions. If you cross the limit, then we urge our readers to split large PST files into smaller parts to avoid damaging and corrupting the data. The user can also archive to improve Outlook performance.
- Outlook Items in a Single Folder
If a user has multiple Outlook items in a single folder, then there are chances that they will get a pop-up message on their screen, ‘Outlook emails are not opening on pc’. The user will experience a performance issue while operating certain activities in Outlook while accessing local data files. This error can be certainly avoided by implementing an effective method.
Solution for Storing Outlook Items in a Single Folder
Improve Outlook Performance by migrating multiple items from a single folder to different or separate folders. Another option that a user can implement is to transfer Outlook items from a single folder to the Archive store and opt for the ‘Arrange by Date’ option while launching Outlook.
- Connect to Cached Exchange Mode
Outlook emails are not opening on pc can be due to when a user is not connecting to an Exchange Server. It is highly recommended to connect to Cached Exchange Mode to improve Outlook performance. It will significantly speed up your Outlook so make sure that you follow the below-mentioned steps to connect to Cached Exchange Mode:
Solution for Connecting to Cached Exchange Mode
- Start MS Outlook and double-click on the ‘File’ tab.
- Go to the ‘Account Settings’ option.
- Now, choose the Exchange email account.
- Then, press on the ‘Change’ tab.
- From the ‘Offline Setting’ tab, now enable the Cached Exchange Mode by clicking on the ‘Use Cached Exchange Mode’ tab.
- Now, restart Outlook and re-check if your issue has been fixed.
- Antivirus Issue
Another major issue for ‘Outlook emails are not opening on pc’ can be due to antivirus software. A user encounters an issue when their antivirus software is integrated with Outlook as it severely affects the performance of Outlook. Many users download antivirus software to protect or shield their data, however, it significantly affects the performance of Outlook.
Solution for Antivirus Issue
We highly recommend our users to disable Outlook integration with your antivirus as it will undoubtedly improve the performance of Outlook and you will not encounter any issue while using Outlook.
- Abrupt Shutting of OST and PST Files
Most users make a common mistake of abruptly shutting their OST and PST files and they receive the below-mentioned errors while using Outlook:
- Outlook cannot open the data filename until it has been checked for problems.
- Microsoft Office Outlook’ exited without properly closing your Outlook data file ‘drive:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\outlook.ost’. ‘Microsoft Office Outlook’ must be restarted. If this error message pops-up on your screen, then we suggest you contact Microsoft Office Outlook for assistance.
- The data filename was not closed properly. This file is being checked for problems.
The above are some of the error messages that you might encounter if you incorrectly shut PST and OST files and it will directly affect Outlook performance.
Solution for Abrupt Shutting of OST and PST Files
We suggest our readers shut down their Windows and Outlook and restart your system.
Solution for Bad Add-ins
- Make a shortcut for Outlook on your Desktop.
- Now, double-click on the shortcut icon for Outlook and click on the ‘Run as administrator’ option.
- Go to the ‘File’ tab.
- Now, open the ‘Add-ins’ button from the ‘Menu’ tab and click on the ‘COM Add-ins’ tab.
- Double-click on the ‘Go’ option.
- Now, uncheck the checkboxes to disable bad add-ins.
- Update Outlook to the Latest Version
Many users are unable to access their data on Outlook as they have not updated Outlook to the latest version.
Solution for Updating Outlook Version
Below, are the steps to update Outlook latest version:
- Start MS Outlook
- Open the ‘File’ tab and go to the ‘Office Account’ option.
- Click on the ‘Update Now’ tab.
We also suggest our readers change the settings to automatically update option.